AustraLearn/AsiaLearn/EuroLearn attends NAFSA's Advocacy Day
Michael Creech, Regional Director, represented AustraLearn/AsiaLearn/EuroLearn to support international education at NAFSA's Advocacy day. The main points were highlighted regarding international education and exchange issues:
International Education Benefits the US Economy – In the current economic crisis, we urge Congress to recognize an essential yet undervalued resource: international education. First, international students, scholars, and scientists here in the US are contributing to our economy and advancing innovation. Second, American students will continue to need more enhanced international skills attainable through study abroad, to compete in and increasingly global economy and workforce.
Senator Paul Simon Study Abroad Foundation Act – We urge Congress to pass and fully fund Senate Bill S. 473, the Senator Paul Simon Study Abroad Foundation Act of 2009. And if you have not already done so, please consider cosponsoring this broadly supported, bi-partisan bill designed to give more access to more students to study abroad, and to encourage US institutions to remove barriers to study abroad, with the goal of increasing the number of US students abroad to 1 million per year.
Visa and Immigration Reform – The following issues desperately need to be addressed to ensure our competitiveness for talented international students and scholars:
- Persistent visa issuance problems for international students and scholars due to interagency coordination problems.
- Insufficient allotment of employment-based green cards, and concers about maintaining access to nonimmigrant work visas.
- The nonimmigrant intent requirement for degree-seeking international students.
Michael also made a
Internships for Academic Credit
One of the best features of our internship program that makes us unique from other organizations is the ability to facilitate internships in any field of study. We have arranged internships with over 200 organizations in the past and we customize every placement to meet our interns’ specific needs. For interns’ looking for a unique work experience opportunity, we can often build a relationship with a new company to meet those needs. Every summer and semester, we add new companies to our growing list.
Here are just a few new placements:
- Westmead Hospital Anxiety Treatment and Research Unit
- Queensland Community Television
- Sports Medicine Australia
- Time Out Magazine
- Goodnature Industrial Design
- The Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service
Internships can be completed for credit (issue by Chapman University) or without credit and are not only for currently enrolled students, but recent graduates as well. In the current job market, this is the sort of experience that will set a graduate's resume apart from the rest.
Deadline for Fall 2009 internships is June 1.
Europe on a Budget
EuroLearn is pleased to be accepting applications for the Fall 2009 Semester and Academic Year for the following programs:
Kingston University – MAY 15
Lancaster University – MAY 15
University of Kent-Canterbury – MAY 15
Swansea University – APRIL 30
(Part-time internships are available for academic credit in a variety of disciplines!)
Dublin Institute of Technology – MAY 15
Institute of Technology-Carlow – MAY 15
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (UCSC) – APRIL 30
We are proud to offer students a variety of program settings:
big cities and quaint towns, large and small student populations, mainstream destinations and those that are more off the beaten path.
Recognizing that beyond tuition and fees, cost of living should be an important consideration for students on a budget. We recommended the following programs as lower-cost destinations:
- Swansea University (Wales)
- Lancaster University (England)
- University of Stirling (Scotland)
- Institute of Technology-Carlow (Ireland)
Study in Australia and New Zealand in January or Summer 2010
Do your students…
- Need to internationalize their resumes but find it difficult to leave their home campus for an entire fall or spring semester?
- Want an option that is affordable?
AustraLearn offers a wide variety of short course programs in New Zealand and every region of Australia. All of our short courses provide a deeply authentic experience as they are not only created by locals from Australia and New Zealand, but they are lead by experts who reside within the countries as well. These high quality yet affordable programs run for anywhere from 2-8 weeks in duration during the North American Summer. Through these programs, students will gain international experience, build their resume, and return to their home university ready to make international connections and contributions!
Students Not Ready for the Job Market Should Look to Further Their Education - Consider Degrees in Australia and New Zealand
The costs for students studying at the Master's level in Australia and New Zealand compares favorably with other study destinations, and are often on par with or even less than what they would pay in the U.S. In New Zealand, international PhD students pay the same as New Zealand students.
Representing 33 universities in Australia and New Zealand, AustraLearn provides free support and enrollment assistance while students seek their degree. Many of the institutions we work with are ranked within the top 500 world-wide, and 7 are in the top 50.
The benefits in using our services extend far beyond the application process.
- We are financially supported by the universities so that all of our services can be FREE to students; we assist with the application, enrollment, financial aid, and student visa process.
- Students receive quicker responses to concerns and questions via direct personal contacts in our offic. The universities trust us to give students the information they need, when they need it.
- The university is more apt to look at an application submitted by AustraLearn, because they know it has been reviewed by our staff and is complete upon arrival.
- AustraLearn’s services extend to include 24-hour emergency support while students are in Australia or New Zealand through our AustraLearn South Pacific Education Support Center.
- Our team consists of experienced, passionate and motivated staff who have all travelled, studied or lived overseas, and understand students’ concerns.