Eligibility for GlobaLinks Learning Abroad Scholarships
- Must be enrolled at a U.S. or Canadian college or university
- Acceptance into an GlobaLinks Learning Abroad year or semester abroad program
- Online Scholarship Application form
- Financial Need declaration/statement
- Statement of extracurricular activities, vocational plans
- Essay describing how you selected your overseas university and how the experience will impact your future career.
- Minimum GPA of a 2.5/4.0
- Several scholarships have additional criteria. If applicable, specific criteria will be listed under each individual award.
- Students are not eligible to apply for scholarships in the 2nd term of a year abroad program.
GlobaLinks Learning Abroad Scholarship Application Process
The Online Scholarship application is available ONLY to students who have been ACCEPTED to study abroad in one of the university programs. Applications are not available to inquiries and students cannot apply for awards prior to being accepted to the program.
The GlobaLinks Learning Abroad general scholarship application requires the following to be considered:
- Completed scholarship application
- Description of financial need
- Description of extracurricular activities, volunteer work and educational and career plans
- Essay describing the reasons for choosing your country and your host university and how the experience will impact your career.
- Your GPA must be at least 2.5 for students enrolled at a US institution and 4.0 for students enrolled at a Canadian institution to be considered in the general scholarship pool.
- Several scholarships have extra requirements or conditions on the above. If you have questions, please call the office before the application deadline.
Deadlines for Applying for GlobaLinks Learning Abroad Scholarships
January intake - October 30th
February intake - November 30th
May intake - February 28th
July intake - April 30th
September intake - June 30th
Eligibility and Selection
The scholarship committee reserves the right to review participant’s enrollment file for further information including, but not limited to, official transcripts, recommendation forms, personal essays and communication with study abroad/faculty officials at the home campus. Students must have been accepted into the program and paid a deposit by the requested deadlines to be eligible for all scholarships. The committee reserves the right to finalize all decisions without recourse. Student names are not submitted as part of the review process. Committee meetings for scholarship selection varies each semester and GlobaLinks Learning Abroad cannot guarantee the date at which students will be notified.
Disbursement of Monies
GlobaLinks Learning Abroad will disburse all GlobaLinks Learning Abroad sponsored scholarships and all University sponsored scholarships to the student’s account in the GlobaLinks Learning Abroad billing office. Cash disbursements will not be made under any circumstances until the GlobaLinks Learning Abroad program account is paid in full resulting in a credit balance. Travel Grants are issued in the form of travel tickets and the student must be travelling with the group to be eligible for the awards. Disbursement of the air-tickets are arranged between the travel provider for AustraLearn (currently STA Travel), the student, and the airline. Restrictions apply.
Recipient Responsibility and Honor
GlobaLinks Learning Abroad takes great pride in being able to offer such extensive scholarship assistance to its participants. Scholarship recipients, no matter the dollar figure awarded, are expected to remain in good academic standing during their study abroad program and to respect the laws and rules of the host country and host university. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the retraction of the scholarship award by GlobaLinks Learning Abroad. Scholarship recipients may also be requested to complete an additional essay or communication with the GlobaLinks Learning Abroad office upon completion of their program or prepare a presentation at their home campus about their experience.