Thanks for your interest in EuroScholars, a unique research study abroad program in Europe. In each edition, this newsletter aims to introduce you to two of the 12 participating European institutions.
Highlights of the EuroScholars program
- Semester or year abroad at one of Europe’s 12 leading research institutions
- Participation in a professional academic research project under supervision of a professor
- Research opportunities available in many fields including liberal arts/humanities, social sciences, biological sciences, physical sciences, and engineering
- Enrollment in a language and/or culture course of the host country (no previous language experience required)
Leiden University - Leiden, The Netherlands
- The oldest university of the Netherlands, founded in 1575 as a gift of William of Orange, the founder of the Dutch Royal House
- A traditional university with nine faculties offering programs in all almost all fields of study. The faculties are Archaeology, Arts, Science, Law, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Creative and Performing Arts and the Leiden University Medical Centre.
- A research-intensive university aiming at attaching talented students and educating them to become the researchers of the future
- A truly international university with over 10% of its students and staff coming from abroad
- A bilingual university with almost 100% of its postgraduate programs fully taught in English
Sample Research Projects at Leiden University
1. Evolutionary Biology (Institute for Biology Leiden, Faculty of Science)
The research project in evolutionary biology tries to better understand evolutionary processes. A great deal of research is conducted with insects as models, e.g. by looking closely into the patterns on the wings of butterflies. The big question is: how do gene paths lead to the enormous variation in morphology, which in turn is the basis of natural selection? LEARN MORE>
2. Social Decision Making (Dept of Social and Organizational Psychology, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Science)
This research project examines how human cognition and behavior are influenced by personal and social goals, physical factors and action repertoires. What we think and do is influenced by what we want and feel. Research and teaching at the department are aimed at developing this theoretical orientation as well as showing how it can be used to help us lead better lives. LEARN MORE>
Leuven University - Leuven, Belgium
- Founded in 1425, Leuven University is the oldest university in the Low Countries (Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg).
- A university comprising 14 faculties, all of them involved in cutting edge research: Engineering, Theology, Philosophy, Social Sciences, Law, Canon Law, Economics and Applied Economics, Arts, Psychology and Educational Sciences, Science, Bioscience Engineering, Medicine, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Sciences.
- Leuven University is ranked in the top 15 of European universities in the Times Higher Education Supplement of 2007 and is founding member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and the Coïmbra Group.
- A multicultural university with almost 25 % of its graduate students coming from abroad.
Sample Research Projects at Leuven University
1. Regeneration of industrial wastewater using membrane processes
Water scarcity is one of the main upcoming problems in industrialized as well as developing countries, due to fast population increases and economic growth. This makes it necessary to exploit the available water sources in a sustainable way. One of the options to consider is the regeneration of industrial wastewater. Membrane processes have often been suggested as possible tools to achieve this.
In this project a framework will be developed to understand the possibilities for wastewater regeneration in the industry, based on the composition of the wastewater, the separation characteristics of the membrane process (a variety of processes can be proposed), and the required quality. LEARN MORE>
2. Electrical energy systems
Research topics are the security of (energy) supply, renewable electricity technology, energy markets, distributed energy resources, power electronics, electrical drives, electrical transportation, dependable control. In this project, the student will investigate future scenarios for the production, storage and consumption of electricity, taking into account the drive towards a more sustainable use of energy resources and the liberalization of the energy markets. Depending on the pre-existing knowledge of the student, the work will be more technology-oriented or rather multidisciplinary. LEARN MORE>
CONTACT US WITH YOUR INTEREST AND/OR QUESTIONS:
www.euroscholars.eu - email@example.com - 1-800-980-0033
We look forward to hearing from you!